Sunday 20 December 2015

Christmas.


When I was a teenager I hated Christmas.

Christmas was a heterosexual family conspiracy to make me suffer.

When I became a Christian I found the secular response to Christmas objectionable - it was mercenary and hypocritical.

Today I have come to a decision.

I have found a way to reconcile my beliefs about Christmas:

Christmas is the Season of Goodwill.

Secular society may not believe in Jesus Christ but they know what goodwill is.

The angels who appeared to the shepherds sang, "Peace on earth and goodwill to all."

This is the goodwill of God towards humanity which was reflected in the birth of the one who would embody the light.

We can all - secular and religious - show goodwill at Christmas.  


Photo Credit: JM Pearson Photography via Compfight cc

No comments:

Post a Comment