Friday 3 June 2016

The Lost Ring.


One morning I had a visitor.
It was my washing day and after the visitor had left I hung my washing on the line in the backyard.

When I came inside I realized that my ring was not on my finger.
I searched the house and the backyard but I could not find it.

I took the sheets off the bed, I swept behind the cupboards, I looked in all my pockets but it was nowhere to be found.

I spoke to my visitor on the phone and asked him to check his bag.
No.  It was not there.  But he swore that I had had it on while he was visiting.

Two days later, when I was leaving to do my shopping, my landlady was hanging out some washing.  I had told her about the lost ring the previous day and now said to her that I had narrowed it down to the backyard area around the clothesline.  She said she would keep her eye out for it.

When I returned from shopping my landlady was waiting for me.

She produced the lost ring.

While she had been hanging out her washing she had noticed something in the grass.  When she had bent down to investigate it had been my ring.

I felt like the woman in the Bible story of the lost coin.
She searches and sweeps the house and when she finds the coin she is jubilant and invites her neighbors to celebrate with her.

So rejoice with me, for I have found the ring that I had lost.

"'Just so, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.'"  Luke 15:7 (NRSV)


[Scripture quotations (marked NRSV) are taken from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A., and are used by permission.  All rights reserved.]

Photo Credit: derekGavey via Compfight cc

No comments:

Post a Comment