Wednesday 20 September 2017

Vegetarian.


I am vegetarian.

It is clear to me that we are free to eat the fruits of the earth but not living things.

"God said, 'See I have given you every plant yielding fruit that is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food.'"  Genesis 1:29 (NRSV)

This passage is followed by the statement that the fruits of the plants and trees are also for animals and birds to eat.

There is no mention of animals or birds or fish as food for man.

My personal feelings are to do with non-violence.

I no longer feel comfortable killing living things for my food.

So I no longer eat meat or fish.

I will eat eggs and cheese because their use for food does not involve inflicting pain on living things.

I believe that my attitude is backed up by the Biblical witness.

It is God's will that we be vegetarian.


[Scripture quotations (marked NRSV) are taken from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright © 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A., and are used by permission.  All rights reserved.]

Photo Credit: Yack_Attack Flickr via Compfight cc

No comments:

Post a Comment